Wednesday, July 14, 2010

6 month Well-baby Check Up

This morning we went to the doctor for Noah's 6 month check up. I was ready for this appointment to be here since Noah has been having some eating issues. However I wasn't looking forward to his shots. I absolutely hate when he has to get them, its such torture for the moms. Today he weighed an even 20lbs and he was almost 27 inches long. His height is in the 69th percentile and his weight is in the 87th percentile. They said his height and weight were good. He may be an over achiever but they are in balance with each other and not too different. They said everything else looked great and he is developing very well.. Yeah!! Good to know. It's hard as a first time mom to not compare to how your kids are as to others but its good to remember that they all do things at their own pace and develop at different rates.

About the eating issues. For awhile now he has been eating a little bit of his bottle and then crying then eating a little bit more and crying. He didn't do it at all feedings just some of them but we couldn't figure out why. We started some food in the meantime since he acted hungry and we figured he would be but just wouldn't take his bottles. I started to do some research to see if other people had run into any similar problems around his age and a bunch of people said there child had acid reflux and did the same thing. I have noticed before that he burps a lot and it sounds like a liquid one but nothing comes out. My thinking is, is that he swallows it back down which hurts his stomach more. He does spit up some but not at every feeding. I kept this in mind to talk to the doctor about at this visit to see what she thought.

Then Randi had heard from someone at her work earlier in the week that her baby did the same thing and they had to switch them from the powder formula to the liquid ready to feed. I didn't have anything to lose, I just wanted to help him because he acted like something was bothering him and cried like he was hurting. I would do anything to help him. Of course the liquid is more expensive but if it helps it would be worth it to us. So this last week we got the liquid and have been trying it the last 2 days and it seems to be better. He has been eating alot more without crying. But today I talked to the doctor about how we switched and just what he was doing and without telling her I was thinking about acid reflux she said it sounds like that. She suggested we try Zantac for a month to see if it helps with those sypmtoms. So tomorrow we will go back to powder formula with the zantac and see if that helps. I'm hoping for good results of course because if this has been half of his problem and I can fix it I would love to. I hate for him to be on any kinds of medicine but I also hate for him to be in a pain. It's a win/lose situation. All in all I just want what's best for him, like any other parent. I will update as soon as we come to a conclusion but I'm hoping we have got it figured out by 1 of the 2 methods.

For his nighttime feedings, I knew they would ask and they haven't gotten any better since the 4 month check up. The week before we went to his 4 month he started just getting up once at night to eat. So at that time they had told me to start weining him off of that by going down an oz every couple nights. Well then he got sick and so we let him eat whenever. Then we went on a couple trips and those messed him up. Each night while we were gone he would be up 3 and 4 times a night. Then when we got back it took awhile to get him back into his routine and we had it down to 2 feedings again. Last week one night when he woke up a 2nd time I stayed up with him for about an hour trying to get him back to sleep without eating and finally I did. Now he has a cold again and isn't sleeping well so hopefully this will pass soon and we will start to get down to 1 feeding quickly and then really work with the last one. I can't imagine sleeping 8 hours without getting woke up, or even 7. I think it would be quite heavenly. I look forward to that night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...