Friday, October 19, 2012

2nd Attempt

 At our last house, I always had color and lots of it mostly on the walls. When we moved to our current house, it had all white walls.  I was excited at the chance to start fresh in every room and really get it right.  Well anyone who knows me knows I change my mind a lot so to think I will every really get anything right can happen just not for long.   First off I knew I wanted to go neutral on the walls.  The first space we painted was the living room and it wasn't what I had exactly planned out the color was a little too gold but it still matched the big canvas I had bought for inspiration so we left it and went with it.  Below was the first after picture I took  after we painted and decorated which later we mounted the TV and added more curtains but I was never really in love and the room never truly felt like home or that it was "us".

Most of you probably saw my facebook post about the curtains but in case you didn't, one day Carson was playing peek a boo and pulled one of the rods halfway out of the wall.  I had to take the other half down and when I really looked began to realize maybe I liked the windows without curtains better.  However the way it was set up that wall just really needed something else besides a mounted TV and that is why we had got them in the first place.  Well after some talking and convincing Matthew agreed to let me re paint and get a "few" new accessories.


 The first thing I did of course was to scour pinterest for some new ideas.  I like to think I'm creative but I'm really just a big copycat! I really don't know what we used to do for ideas before Pinterest was around.  I use it for everything anymore.  

An idea for the color scheme came from this.  We have light brown microfiber and since it was just barely a year old, it had to stay so I loved seeing some colors with it. 
 Absolutely loved these ceiling medallions like most Pinterest projects theirs are much better than mine!
 Idea for our entry

Here is what we ended up with
We painted the room mostly tan (twice actually, the first color was a complete fail, instead of tan it turned out a weird shade of purple)  with 2 accent walls the one with the windows and the wall our stairs are in in the kitchen, moved the furniture a bit, mounted the TV over the fireplace instead of in between the windows, and got some new decor that I love !  

 Someday  hopefully sooner than later we will  replace those sweet fans and get some bookcases for under our ceiling medallions.  The space there still looks funny with it being so empty and it's one big wall.  
Closeup of my spray painted medallions 
 Our entry way, idea used from Pinterest
 Closeup of the pillows I made.  I ended up making 5 chevron, 2 green patterned and bought 2 orange.  We will never be short on pillows in this room!  

Since all the decor in the kitchen/dining area was red too I had to  wanted to change the decorations in there as well.   The picture is terrible but you can see my trellis curtains I love.  (I spotted them a while ago in Target and have been dying to find a spot to use them, I actual saw them in blue first but was even more excited to see them in a burnt orange color when I went shopping for stuff).  I also have always wanted a big spoon and fork and so I found the perfect ones at Hobby Lobby and the Eat letters.  They don't look that big in the picture but trust me in real life they are pretty large!  

Overall I really do like how it turned out.   I feel like it's a lot cozier with how we changed the furniture around and the look is more us!  I'm sure we will add stuff here and there, it's just to expensive to buy everything at once!  Decorating isn't cheap!  



2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love what you have done with the place! I grew up there for almost 10 years, and can't believe how different it looks. You have good taste, my friend :) I think you need to come help me spruce up my place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your house! I like how you used inexpensive Pinterest ideas as a jumping off point and then made it all your own! I feel inspired to get to work on my own house some more!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...