Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Walmart Fun

Every Monday we usually go grocery shopping in the morning after Carson naps.  Some weeks I put it off until Matthew is home but usually I tough it out, go and hope for the best.  This week we didn't make it Monday and I tried to go Tuesday night after I picked the kiddos up. Matthew was out of the town for the day and I knew he wouldn't be home until too late for me to go so I figured I would just get it over with. 

The actually shopping went pretty well, we didn't need a ton so I zipped through most of the store then we got to the checkout.  Boy I really dislike checkouts and I try not to get all excited and relieved that I made it through another Walmart experience with two boys while I'm standing there because I have learned too many times that those few sometimes many minutes there can be the breaking point where everything falls apart.  And..... this week it did!  The normal Noah kept trying to climb out to get the candy, I'm fighting to keep him in, Carson's trying to get out as well and Noah yells at him telling him to stay in.  Then Carson sees some Teddy Grahams in a cup thing and he is reaching out and crying for them.   I give in, we have 2 people in front of us with full carts so it was going to be awhile.   I grabbed the Teddy Graham cup and give Carson some, he shoves all of them in his mouth.  He starts screaming while his mouth is full and mush is getting everywhere.  I pick him up, try to clean him off and he is done, throwing his arms and legs and screaming.   Everyone is looking (that's how it felt anyway)  and the people in front of me started talking about when their kids were little and how things like that don't bother them, it's always the worst for the mom.  

Then a lady in the next lane brings over a pack of smarties and asks if they can have them.  I must of looked/seemed/ to be pretty desperate.  I felt like junk for a minute thinking no one thought I could handle my kids but had to bring myself back to reality and realize she probably has smarties for moments like these with her kids and that no one was judging me.  Kids throw fits, kids get upset, they get tired of being in Walmart, I'm sure the employees see it all the time ( at least I tell myself that so I can sleep better).

I also am torn on what to do in this situation, I know with Carson's he's too young to rationalize with I can't really do a whole lot but with Noah I used to bring a sucker or something for him every time and as soon as we got inside he would reach for my purse because there was something in there for him.  I worked hard on breaking that before Carson was born but now I'm starting all over because I need something for Carson to make it through.  I hate letting them eat stuff to get  them to behave, I want the reward to come after not the reinforcement that if you act like this, you can pretty much have anything you see in this store so mom doesn't  get embarassed. I want my boys to someday behave in the store because that is what they are supposed to do not to get a treat or be bribed the entire time.   Parents out there who have been here and dealt with this any good ideas for us?  

2 comments:

  1. oh i hope you get some good comments. ian threw a lay on the ground, kicking things as i pulled him along kinda fit today in jcp. keep the faith sista, im right there withya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had Ian and Rylin there with me on Tuesday night as well. My trip didn't go as planned either... I have a Walmart post too ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...